MUSME’s quarters themselves tell us about the extraordinary innovations of our past.
The Museum is set up in the 15th century building that used to house Padua’s first hospital, built in 1414 by husband and wife Baldo Bonafari and Sibilia de Cetto: the Hospital of Saint Francis the Greater.
Remarkable features of this accomplishment of exclusively Paduan willingness were – besides the private funding – its laic origin and its location in the city centre, thus responding to the healthcare and assistance demands of the urban population.
It was in these rooms that – in the second half of the 16th century, for the first time ever – medicine students started to learn clinical practice directly on the patients’ bed, thus laying the foundations for the modern academic approach towards medicine.
Saint Francis’ Hospital was active for nearly four centuries, until March 29th 1798, when it was replaced by a new hospital, upon the wish of Nicolò Giustiniani, then Bishop of Padua: Hospital Giustinianeo.