The former Saint Francis the Greater’s Hospital

The first room on the ground floor is dedicated to the history of the former Saint Francis the Greater’s Hospital. This was the first city hospital, built in 1414 upon the wish of spouses Sibilla de’ Cetto and Baldo Bonafari da Piombino, and active until 1798.

In the second half of the 1500s, it was in these quarters that – for the first time ever – Medicine students started to learn clinical practice directly at the patients’ bed, thus laying the foundations of the modern academic approach towards Medicine.